In the last few years, data leaks and other security issues have become rampant, leading businesses to take a proactive approach towards the security of their businesses. Even on a small scale, employee theft could lead to substantial loss.
Therefore, employers should know how to detect theft in the first place and handle it in the right manner. Detecting data theft can be tricky if the employee is good at their job.
Signs to Detect Data Theft
Here are some ways you can be in the know if an employee is involved in stealing important information. You need to watch out for unusual occurrences in the workplace like:
- Missing important documents or files
- Discrepancies in the cash amounts
- Unlocked exists
- Vehicles parked right next to exits (loading areas)
Also, you should closely watch out employee’s behavior. Here are some things you should make note of:
- Poor work performance
- Unusual work hours
- A defensive attitude
- Being close friends with a customer/supplier/competitor
- A lifestyle that does not match the salary you offer to them
If you are into business, you already know the worth of your information and how a data leak could impact your goodwill. But, at the same time, you must reflect on your actions after knowing that your business could be at risk. And then, there is the realization of how other staff members react to it.
When it comes to an employee involved in data leak and working as a mole in your workplace, you surely wouldn’t want to exhibit any tolerance. You must begin monitoring the employee you are doubtful of. Here are a few things you must consider before you begin monitoring:
Knowledge about the General Law
The federal law in the U.S. does not allow you to intercept electronic communication. But it exempts employers to monitor an employees’ use of the device for business needs, such as improving customer services and ensuring employees’ performance. Also, many companies offer their employees with phones, so employers can monitor them.
Learn about state law
The majority of the state laws protect the employees significantly as compared to federal law. Due to this, before you begin monitoring, you must carefully research the laws regarding employee monitoring in your state.
You can track your employees’ digital activities without business exemption if you get their consent in writing. What you can do is that you mention it at the time of hiring, and when you hand them over their appointment letter. Let them know that you are going to monitor their activities. And if they get phone devices, they are also going to be monitored. This notifies the employees that you are going to keep an eye on the devices they use. You should make it clear that any of the gadgets or equipment that they might get at work because the law allows you to monitor them.
Catching an employee in the act
Having said that, let’s talk about how you can catch an employee you are suspicious of. Of course, you are going to investigate. But before you go on to make any accusation, you have to investigate and get solid proof of the alleged theft, be it theft of property or being involved in any suspicious activity.
There are multiple things that you could do and investigative measures you can take, such as:
- Keep staff on rotation in terms of seating and work. Depending on the nature of your business, you can successfully rotate your staff and place them in separate areas of the workplace. Also, change the shift timings as well.
- Increase your checks on equipment and stock.
As said earlier, there is a need to restrict access to the company data. You should remove staff access from the areas where you keep the company and client information. Only authorized persons should access customer data.
No matter what approach you decide to take, make sure that the process you follow is not only fair but consistent. Failure to do so could impact employee commitment and lead to discrimination.
Advantages of Tracking Employees’ Phones
With a computer or laptop, you can block or restrict certain sites, limit access, and put multiple security measures in place. With a large number of companies giving mobile phones to their employees, it has become important that along with the computers in the workplace, you must keep an eye on their phone activities as well.
Here are a few reasons to monitor the company-owned phones:
- You can ensure that employees are using the phone to make work-related calls and not for personal ones.
- By keeping an eye on emails and other correspondence, you can know for sure if employees are involved in a data breach.
- Also, employees tend to act more responsibly and be more productive when they know they are getting monitored.
How to monitor employee phones?
Once you take into account all the legal aspects of monitoring, the question arises of how you can go about it. You would find several employee monitoring apps in the market. You can pick the one that best suits your budget and offers the features that cater to your monitoring needs.
To save your time from doing the basic research of finalizing on one, we have brought you a good option that you can consider for monitoring your employees. Since you would want to get an app that is not only affordable but performs well, we recommend Xnspy employee monitoring app.
The app has been specially designed for employers to keep an eye on their employees and protect valuable data. The app monitors everything from messages and calls to emails and web browsing history. You can create virtual parameters on the map too. Apart from GPS location tracking, the app sends alerts when your employee enters or exits certain areas.
Read on below for a step-by-step guide to assist you with installation:
Step 1: Confirm the Compatibility
The first thing you should ensure before getting any app is its compatibility with the phone you plan to install it on. Xnspy is a great app that runs smoothly on all Android and iPhones.
Check out the chart below:
|Android||iPhone ( Without Jailbreak)|
|Supports OS 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, and 9.x||Supports iOS 6.x, 7.x, 8.x up to 13.3|
Step 2: Subscribe to the app
After you have decided on the number of employees you want to monitor, you can then buy the subscription plans easily. There are basic and premium editions available with monthly, quarterly, and yearly payment plans.
Here is a breakdown of all the prices:
|Xnspy Basic Edition||$49.99||$23.33||$8.33|
|Xnspy Premium Edition||$59.99||$33.33||$12.49|
Step 3: Download and install Xnspy
You need physical access to the phones for installation if they are Android. As far as iPhones are concerned, there is no need to install the app, but you would require the iCloud.
Step 4: Access Xnspy dashboard
After the installation process, log into your web account by using the login credentials you received in the email. It will take about 24-48 hours to become functional, and during this time, it will back up data from the employee phone to your web account.
From there, the dashboard would help you see everything. There are different categories you can navigate through to access the information of your interest. The app also lets you customize the different features according to your monitoring requirement.
Here are some of the features of this app:
- Xnspy lets you monitor your employees’ text messages and calls. The calls are recorded automatically. You can set alerts on words and certain contacts and add them on the watch list to be in the know of things you are interested in. The app would send alerts whenever they appear in correspondence.
- You can monitor the social media activities of the employees (Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, iMessage, Kik, Instagram, Viber, Tinder, and Skype.
- You can track the location history of the employees as well as the real-time location. You can also add locations in the Watchlist to get alerts.
- You can record the surroundings of the phone up to 30 minutes via the ambient recording feature.
- Xnspy lets you access multimedia files and calendar entries too.
- The app offers a keylogger and Wi-Fi feature for Android devices.
- Numerous remote functionalities let you control the phone from miles away. You can:
-Shut down or lock the device
-Take live screenshots
-Wipe off data
-Turn on microphone remotely
- You can see actuarial reports such as:
-Top 5 frequent callers
-Top 5 call durations
-Top 10 frequently-visited websites
-And a weekly punch card showing all the calls along with their respective details