Popular photo messaging platform, Snapchat has recently launched 'Spotlight', a new feature that would allow users to share short-form videos publicly in its Snapchat app. Spotlight is launched by Snap Inc in order to take on China based TikTok and Instagram Reels.
In a bid to accelerate engagement for this feature, Snap Inc has also announced that it will pay $1 million to popular creators for their viral content on Spotlight everyday through the end of 2020. The Spotlight feature is available in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, and France.
According to Snapchat, "Video stories on Spotlight can be up to 60 seconds long and cannot be watermarked. Spotlight is designed to reward creativity in a fair and fun way, and we're distributing over $1 million USD every day to Snapchatters. Snapchatters must be 16 or older, and where applicable, obtain parental consent to earn."
Spotlight is also providing creative tools to edit videos such as: Licenced music, Sound recordings, GIFs, Captions, Hashtags, Augmented reality filters (lenses).
"It’s a fair and fun place for Snapchatters to share their best Snaps and see perspectives from across the Snapchat community,” Snapchat said in an announcement.
How to create content on Spotlight
- Snapchat users can create Spotlight videos by creating a Snap in the usual fashion.
- There's a new option of select Spotlight at the top of 'Send To' screen.
Tap on Send button in the bottom right hand corner and your video will be submitted.
- Spotlight users can also add topics to their Snap before submitting the videos, which can help users to search the content.
- Snapchat's algorithm may consider the following factors while curating content: Likes, Shares, Bounce rate, Watch time.
- Before content is surfaced in Spotlight it gets reviewed by moderators to ensure it’s both appropriate and entertaining.
Snapchat has also surfaced Spotlight Guidelines:
- Snaps should be vertical videos with sound, Still-image photos, horizontal Snaps, blurry Snaps, and text-only Snaps won’t show up in Spotlight.
- Add a #topic on the Send To page so others can join in or explore more Snaps like yours. Highlight your creativity and make every second count.
- Use Creative Tools like captions, Sounds, Lenses or GIFs to make your Snaps stand out.
- Snaps from your Camera Roll or Memories are allowed, but keep in mind we want to see your best stuff.
- Avoid Copyright infringement.
- Gambling, tobacco, weapons, controlled substances, and excessive or underage alcohol consumption are not allowed.
- Submit your best video Snaps to Spotlight for the opportunity to earn a share of more than $1 million.