When it comes to products, consumers are more informed than ever because the information is readily accessible online. This is all thanks to ample references, like product review websites, company websites, and social media brand mentions. That's why creating a new product that people will love is a real challenge.
From product design and manufacturing process to testing and marketing, creating a new product is a tough job. You want to ensure that your new product is durable, functional, safe to use, and high-quality in all aspects. In this way, your target audience will discover and appreciate its great features, benefits, and value.
In this post, you'll learn how to create a new product that people will love.
Create an Effective Product Design Plan
Creating a new product always starts with a product design plan. It involves brainstorming your team about coming up with a new product idea that is not only valid, viable, and profitable, but also appealing and helpful to your intended audience.
Here's how to come up with an effective product design plan:
- Draw a new product idea based on customer feedback obtained through surveys, social media brand mentions, comments, and product reviews.
- Write down all observations, ideas, and suggestions, including new technologies or techniques you can use to create a new product.
- Set your goals and provide a timetable from product design, research, and development, prototyping, to the actual manufacturing process.
- Discuss how you and your team will go through the product development process in a seamless way possible. The product development process may involve consultation with a formulation development expert, formulation development, reviewing and commenting on prototypes, getting additional product support (e.g., regulatory assistance, packaging selection, and shelf-life analysis), and technology transfer o your manufacturing facility.
Product Research and Development
Creating a new product should always prioritize research and development. It's a great way to understand if your product idea is worth materializing fully. Every product creation should start with this step, which involves in-depth research on customer needs, product demand, and applicable technology to attain the required product technical specifications.
You can benefit from product research and development by hiring experts for additional support, refining your initial product idea, and create high-quality finished products that people love. Professional product research and development companies can provide the R&D services for a successful new product launch.
Check out the following product research and development services:
- Sourcing and testing raw materials
- Verifying marketing claims
- Finding and testing appropriate product packaging
- Performing stability and shelf-life studies
- Performing scale-up and providing manufacturing support
- Setting up a good relationship and partnership with a contract blender for product manufacturing
- Verifying that product meets industrial and government regulations
- Producing small batches or prototyping to show distributors, manufacturers, investors, or for use at trade fairs
Note: A product research and development company can also conduct product deformulation and reformulation, which involves reverse engineering, replicating, and modifying existing products so that you can expand your product lines based on your existing products. In addition, you can also obtain intellectual property and litigation support to verify that your product won't violate existing patents and obtain patent protection of your new product formulation.
Take Advantage of Prototyping Services
Prototyping involves creating a new product in its small or minute form for testing or research purposes before full production. It's always an important aspect of new product design to avoid wasting time, money, and effort and avoid creating a new product with poor design and quality. For instance, 3D production systems enable electric car manufacturers to build engine models from a digital file that can be tested for a specific period.
If you want your new product to stand out, take advantage of rapid prototyping services. In that way, you can manufacture different high-quality products or parts you need for your manufacturing company that people will love. There are many prototyping services available today that you can take advantage of depending on what new product you want to produce.
Here are some examples of rapid prototyping techniques and services:
- Direct Metal Printing (DMP): With DMP, a high precision laser is directly applied to metal powder particles. In that way, thin metal layers are built in succession. That's why challenging geometrical metal parts greatly benefit from this technology, which is impossible to do with other methods. Functional metals, like prototypes and production series, are available up to 20,000 units.
- Directed light fabrication or DLF: It’s a process involving a fusion of metal powders that are delivered by gas and using a high- powered laser beam, forming a metal deposit that is fully-dense.
- Fused deposition modeling or FDM: It’s a type of 3D printing technology, allowing the construction of 3D objects, prototypes, and CAD products.
- Laminated object manufacturing or LOM: It’s an additive manufacturing process wherein an object can be built by successively layering sheets of material. They are bonded using heat and pressure. After this, they are cut into desired shapes using a carbon laser or a blade.
- Direct-shell production casting or DSPC: Ceramic molds are made in a layering process.
- Laminated resin printing or LRP: It’s an easy, fast, and cost-effective way to build different 3D printed structures for different applications, like electronics, sensors, wearables, and Internet of Things devices.
- Shape deposition manufacturing or SDM: It systematically combines the material deposit with the material removal processes. This layering process build prototypes that are identical to the end product.
- Stereolithography or SLA: Stereolithography is a rapid prototyping process that turns photosensitive liquid into three-dimensional solid plastics. It involves using a photopolymerization and low-power laser in a layer-by-layer manner.
- Selective laser melting or SLM: It’s a 3D printing technique that uses high power-density laser, so metallic powders are melted and fused.
When creating a new product, it's important to have a great design plan to ensure that you have a strong foundation when it comes to the product development process. Also, working with a product and research development professional can save you tons of time, effort, and resources studying the market and your consumers by doing this tough task for you.
Before finalizing your new product, prototyping and testing are important to ensure top product quality. Prototyping services help you make certain modifications or adjustments without spending much on materials. Also, it's an excellent way to save money and test your new product before mass-producing it.