Jute bags are used for shopping purposes. Our environment today is polluted to an extreme level. Nowadays, printed jute bags are used for shopping purposes too. Jute is a long, soft, shiny vegetable fiber. It is also popularly known as as Golden fiber. Currently, it is one of the strongest all-natural fibers available throughout the globe. Jute fiber is reusable and biodegradable. Starting a jute bag making business is a great decision to start also profitable because jute bags has excessively increased over the last year. People nowadays carry these bags as stylish handbags.
The jute bag making process is simple. Additionally, there are several different types of bags that are very popular in the market. A recent study has shown that the general public has become very bored with carrying bags made of leather bags or even plastic bags. Any individual can start this business even from home. Furthermore, this is a great opportunity for women, housewives, and mothers too. In this article, we will discuss how to start a jute bag making business.
Various purposes of jute bags:
- Students use jute bags to carry books to school or college
- Women use jute bags as stylish handbags nowadays
- These are used to carry lunch to work
- Jute bags can be used for travel and transport purposes
- These bags are used for promotional purposes as well
- Jute bags are versatile and can be used as gift bags
- These bags used as shopping bags all over the world
- It is used for transferring product from one place to another
Types of Jute bags
There are numerous types of jute bags you can find in the market. According to lamination or lining, there are three different types of bags.
- Unlaminated – Biodegradable
- Laminated – Food Grade LDPE, splash resistant, wipe clean
- Muslin Lined
A jute bag comes in several different handle options. These are as follows:
- Jute Handles
- Flat Cotton Strap
- Cotton webbing, filled with rope
- Cane Handles
- Rope with eyelets
Identify the demand
As per industry estimates, India has exported millions of jute bags mainly to Europe. The production of this item which is mainly in the micro and small enterprises has picked up substantially in the last few years. There is a big scope globally for Indian jute shopping bags as an alternative to plastic bags. India holds the majority of shares representing the leading producer of jute bags. Additionally, the benefits offered by jute bags such as their biodegradability, durability, low cost, high strength, etc. have supported the market growth.
According to a survey, the jute bag market value had touched US$ 1.8 Billion in the year 2018. Jute bags have recorded an 11.5% CAGR from 2011 to 2018.
Jute bags business planning
When you start any business there are various things you need to consider. Whether you are in the beginning stages of starting your own business or planning on taking it to the next level, you will need a clear and informative business plan. You need to ask yourself, Where do I want it to go? What will my business look like? A business plan will provide readers with all types of information they need to understand your business’s purpose and capabilities. You have to be willing to add, edit, or even remove certain portions of your business plan when new information becomes available.
Register your Jute bag making business
For a very small startup, you can look for a proprietorship company. However, you may also go with the partnership, LLC, or INC companies according to your business size and investment model. Generally, this type of business plan doesn’t demand any specific licenses from the Government authorities.
In India, National Centre for Jute Diversification (NCJD) and Jute Manufacturers Development Council (JMDC) offer training on jute bag making.
Location of your business
Choosing a business location is all about setting your business for success. You need to put careful thought into where you want to establish your business.
Some tips for choosing good location:
- Before you start looking for a business location you need to create a business budget for your expenditure.
- Before you buy or rent a building, check out the surrounding neighborhood.
- Part of your business location strategy should be based on the amount of competition in the area.
- Consider the potential growth of your company when choosing a location for a business.
- Consider how easy it is for customers to reach the business location.
- Before you purchase a location for business, find out how it is zoned.
Steps involved in jute bags making
The process of manufacturing jute bags is very simple and does not require the use of heavy machines. Below are the steps involved in jute bags making:
- Buy woven jute fabric rolls from wholesalers or directly from the manufacturers.
- Laminate the jute rolls. Jute bags can be sold with lamination or without lamination.
- Spread the jute fabric roll on a table and fix it.
- Cut the jute rolls to the required size and shape.
- Print the designs, logos, or text on the jute roll pieces.
- Wash and dry the printed jute fabric pieces.
- Stitch the cut pieces of jute roll using a heavy-duty sewing machine.
- Attach the handles, buckles, zips, etc.
- Pack the jute bags for marketing.
Raw materials used in jute bag making
India and Bangladesh are the tops producers of jute fiber. In India, West Bengal accounts for 50% of the country’s total jute produce. So, source your raw materials from reasonable and genuine jute mills.
The raw materials used in jute bag making are:
- Jute fabric
- Printing gum
- Sewing thread (preferably nylon)
- Chemicals and auxiliaries
- PVC buckles
- Packing materials
Types of Machinery for jute bag making business:
Jute bag manufacturing does not require high-end technology machinery. It all depends on the scale and type of bags. To make a printed jute bag, the following machinery is required:
- Working table
- Lamination machine
- Printing Table
- Screen printing machine
- Dye Paste Stirrer
- Water Drum, tubes, mugs, clips, etc.
- Cottage Steamer
- Electric Fittings
- Scissors and measuring tape
- Cutting machine
- Heavy-duty Sewing machine
- Regular sewing machine
- Nylon thread
- Lockstitch Machines
- Side Sealing Machine
Promoting jute bag making business
Promoting is an essential step for selling a product. The same goes for jute bags. Offline promotion through retail sales and online promotion through business websites and social media can play a major role in selling and establishing your jute bags. Target the local market for immediate customers.
Marketing strategies of jute bag business
Marketing strategies are the processes by which companies create customer interest in goods or services. Marketing draws out the hidden wants of customers and creates new demand. It enlarges the market and enables the producers to increase production and earn more profits. Because of marketing so many other activities such as banking, transport, insurance warehousing, etc. get a boost as they are needed more help in the marketing process.
Some techniques of marketing:
- Word of mouth
- Comprehensive website
- Social marketing
- Direct marketing
- Major festivals
- Online shopping sites
- NGO tie-ups
- Local tie-ups
- Corporate gifts
- Conferences and seminars
Subscribe to Startup Talky
Get the latest posts delivered to you right in your inbox