Today’s world is all about showing your best social skills and communication skills for marketing yourself. The budding entrepreneurs constantly need to sell themselves and market their business ideas. To bucket up the investors for the business, one needs to attend social gatherings and socialize with people to get them involved in their venture plan. However, in the workplace, these skills can be an essential aspect of staff interaction, planning, and collaboration. In this article, we discuss what social skills are, how to apply them in the workplace and why developing social skills is so important.
However, it’s very important to impress the person with your witty remarks and steal the show with your knowledge. Many people are not comfortable with the words and not everyone can express their thoughts clearly which forfeits the chance of great investment opportunities from our hands. It is necessary to improve communication and social skills. So in this article, we will talk about ways to improve your social skills and effectively communicate in your workplace.
What Are Social Skills?
Social skills, also known as interpersonal or soft skills, are used to communicate with others. There are several types of communication skills we use daily including: verbal, nonverbal, written, and visual. Verbal skills involve the spoken language, while nonverbal communication skills include body language, facial expressions, and eye contact. Strong social skills can help you build and maintain successful relationships both professionally and personally and also help you in being a good public speaker.
Methods of Improving Social Skills
To be a better communicator, one has to improve their social skills, improving social skills will help you in every aspect of life. Some of the methods to improve Social Skills in life are:
- Instead of shying away, try to start a conversation with a stranger, your acquaintances and family. Ask an open-ended question that keeps the communication going, the need to engage is extremely important here.
- Try to broaden your answer, when answering someone's question. This led to deeper communication and you can practice your conversation skills.
- Observe the social skills of the people around you, especially your colleagues. You can learn a lot of things from your surroundings. Observing their way of non-verbal and verbal communication will help you in improving yours.
- Main eye contact while conversing with the opposite person.
- Just talking is not enough, you need to develop your listening skills as well.
- Take the help of books, podcasts and YouTube videos to improve your social skills.
- Be aware of the current events and news of the world, this will give you topics to have start conversations with others.
How to Leave a Mark on a Social Gathering?
There isn’t any rocket science behind alluring the people, it is easy to behave in social gatherings. There are some basic rules which you need to regimen before entering any social event. So, draw your attention here.
Make a Killer First Impression
When we meet someone for the first time, the very first thought that pops into our mind are to make a long-lasting impression that they stay lifelong with us. The points that will help you to make an ebonics first impression for the audience are –
- Smile often, will exude positivity. Smiling makes you appear more friendly and gregarious and, others will feel more comfortable in your presence. Don’t smile like a fool, just a little, to look friendly and easily approachable. Smile as you mean it.
- Make eye contact with the other person while talking and that will define your confidence in the other person. Eye contact displays confidence and is one of the quickest ways to make people gravitate toward you. There is a simple trick to show your strength and social skills that will improve your confidence in the other person. So make eye contact with the person while talking to them with your striving confidence.
- Your body language should be open to the public. Rigid body language is the definition of nervousness and lack of confidence. The body language should be relaxed and no need to be prim and proper. Positive body language includes good posture, leaning in slightly when someone is speaking (displays interest), and smiling/eye contact. This will helps in improving communication and social skills.
Be a Good and Patient Listener
You need to develop good listening qualities in lieu to get the attention of others in a social meet-up. Take time to understand the other person's view and, only after understanding it reciprocate your answer. Some people confuse listening with hearing. They both are different things you need to understand, what is being communicated to show your interest by:
- Giving them your full interest and showing that you’re understanding their words.
- Take time to ask questions on the topic of the discussion.
- Make valuable remarks on the topic and share your valuable opinion with the person.
Giving compliments to the person while making the introduction will give you the right start. Give genuine compliments where applicable and be honest about them. If you notice something nice about a person don’t be afraid to let them know. Phrases such as “That is a nice shirt by the way. Where did you get it?” or “You have a very admiring personality makes you much more amiable and breeds pleasant social interactions.
So, these are a few simple tricks to make social gatherings your show. But after reading this topic and observing the experiences you will get to know that confidence is the key element here. This will helps in improving communication and social skills. If you have the right amount of confidence in yourself, then no one can stop you from becoming successful. So, try to embed confidence in your body language and you will see the changes yourself.
What Are Communication Skills?
Communication skills are the activities that make your performance ultimately a good one. Communication skills are very important in every human being's life it is used in both, as in your personal life and your professional life.
It is also the abilities of when you give and receive different kinds of information from different sources. When you communicate ideas, feelings, or even any update regarding your work or project. Communication skills involve listening, speaking, observing, and empathizing. Having good communication skills helps to develop your personality and one can also be given the top priorities as a leader. Communication is so important that entire careers and fields are based almost entirely upon communicating, like these 13 communication careers listed here.
Whether it's written or spoken, reading, or listening, these skills are crucial in any workplace and can make you a better, more effective, and more efficient employee,
Ways to Communicate Effectively in the Workplace
When the employees have good communication skills, superiors can better understand the potential, willingness, talents, and skills of their employees. Some of the ways to communicate effectively are:
Encourage open discussion: In this, a manager acknowledges his\her employee's, views which is important. They ask their employees for valuable inputs. Encourage managers to clearly show that they have heard employees' opinions and engage the employees on a personal level. The managers recognize their employees and acknowledged the employee's inputs.
More face-to-face or phone conversations: A face-to-face conversation will last longer as more people talk together, which makes them stronger and better relationships with employees, managers and the boss. As, in a face-to-face conversation one can perceive each other feelings, facial expressions, and body language. Having, eye contact will also help to get an understanding of the communication and good internal networking might help you in the future.
Be careful when wording emails: When you are writing the mail to your manager or your boss, don't write like the reader is your best friend. Don't assume the reader knows who you are and why you are emailing. Don't use informal language. Don't forget to proofread for spelling and grammar mistakes. Write in a way that will boost them to open your mail.
Be aware of body language: Your body language can influence the way others respond to you. It can also impact how they perceive you and your intentions. Being highly aware of your body language can influence your productivity and reputation in your workplace.
Make meetings meaningful: While making the meetings one should have a clear agenda, so that everyone in the workplace has a clear idea about when and which meetings have to be scheduled at which time.
Effective communication is integral in your life. Without communication nothing is possible. One can eliminate unnecessary, unwanted problems and can promote better performance with the help of communication. The ability to communicate depends on your social skills, so before communication improving your social skills is extremely important as well.
What are 5 essential communication skills?
The top 5 essential communication skills are:
- Written Communication
- Verbal Communication
- Non-Verbal Communication
- Active Listening
- Contextual Communication
What are the 5 social skills?
The 7 social skills are:
- Maintaining Eye Contact
- Using Manners
How to start a conversation with someone you don't know?
To start a conversation with a stranger, you need to:
- Introduce yourself.
- Start with the basics.
- Be aware of your body language.
- Disclose free information.
- Make eye contact.