In a world that revolves around the internet, learning on-demand digital skills is very important.
The advancements in technology are taking away jobs from the people but, at the same time, it is creating new jobs as well.
If you understand what services people would need in the future and start working on them from today you could earn a lot of money.
You need to understand the world is rapidly evolving and to survive here, you need to continuously upgrade yourself.
Without further ado, here are the top 10 on-demand digital skills that you can start learning today.
- Data Science
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Machine Learning
- Cloud Computing
- Mobile App Development
- Ul Design
- UX Design
- Graphic Designing
- Social Media Marketing
1. Data Science
Data is the most valuable asset of any company.
Every other company needs to analyze its customer information and market conditions along with a detailed study of its competitors.
Of course, the companies also need to analyze their revenue, profits, capital appreciation, market capitalization, number of investors, total assets and liabilities, and much more.
It is estimated that by 2025 the global data volume will touch 180 Zetta bytes, 572 Zetta bytes by 2030, and it may even go up to 5,00,000 Zetta bytes by 2050.
As you can guess, all this data is extremely big. All companies need someone who can analyze this humongous data, find recurring patterns and provide insights that help the company grow.
This is where a data scientist comes in.
Data science in simple words is applying advanced analytics techniques and scientific principles to extract information from data.
The valuable information extracted from the data is further used to improve business efficiency, find new business opportunities, improve the product or service, increase sales and ultimately boost revenue.
According to Payscale, the average salary of a data scientist in India is 8,73,310 a year.
What Does a Data Scientist Do?
- Improve the quality of the data using machine learning techniques and identify patterns and trends.
- Validate the data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and uniformity.
- Create algorithms and data models that can find valuable information from the data.
- Integrate data tools such as Python, R, SAS, or SQL in data analysis.
- Find solutions and hidden opportunities from the data.
Skills Required to Become a Data Scientist:
- Expertise in programming languages like Python, R Programming, SQL, and Scala.
- Strong command of statistics and mathematics (Linear algebra and matrix, statistics, geometry, calculus, probability, regression, dimensionality reduction, and vector models)
- Deep understanding of machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- Web Scraping.
- Data analysis and visualization.
- Database management.
2. Artificial Intelligence (AI)
When we hear the word AI we usually think about an army of robots ruling mankind.
We might even think about Siri, Alexa, facial detection, chatbots, self-driving cars, movie recommendations that we get on Netflix, and much more.
Although these applications of Al are very basic. To be very frank, we haven't scratched the surface of Al.
In the future, AI would be used in almost every sector like finance, healthcare, transportation, retail and e-commerce, advertising, entertainment, and gaming.
This means that every other company would be looking for professionals who know how to effectively use the power of Al for the growth of their business.
You can work with big companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Adobe, Intel, and many more.
In 2020, LinkedIn listed Al specialist as the top emerging job.
According to Simplilearn, the entry-level annual average AI specialist salary in India is around 8 lakhs.
If you have a higher level of expertise and experience it can go as high as 50 lakhs.
There is a crossover between Al and machine learning. You will get to know more about machine learning next!
What Does an Al Specialist Do?
- An Al specialist is responsible for creating machines and software problems that can analyze the data and make human-like decisions.
- Use machine learning (ML) and neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) to build creative solutions for business problems.
- Create solutions that will streamline tedious or repetitive business tasks.
- Convert the machine learning models into application program interfaces (APIs).
Skills Required to Become an Al Specialist:
- Linear Algebra, probability, and statistics.
- Bayesian networking (including neural nets).
- Cognitive science theory.
3. Machine Learning
You must have heard about machine learning a lot of times these days. It is one of the most innovative and rapidly evolving industries that provides lucrative salary packages.
Machine learning can be defined as the subfield of Al where historical data is used by the software applications to produce accurate results and outcomes.
Basically, they are doing the task and learning from their experiences without being explicitly programmed to do so.
Differentiating between illegitimate and legitimate transactions in applications like PayPal and GPay, face detection in images, speech recognition, and medical diagnosis are all popular examples of machine learning.
According to Payscale, the average machine learning salary in India is Rs 686,281 per year, inclusive of bonuses and profit-sharing.
What Does a Machine Learning Engineer Do?
- Design self-running software for predictive model automation.
- Perform statistical analysis and fine-tune models using test results.
- Discover, design, and develop analytical methods to support novel approaches to data and information processing.
- Identify differences in data distribution that affect model performance.
Skills Required to Become a Machine Learning Engineer:
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Java, R, Python, and C++.
- Knowledge of how different machine learning algorithms work.
- Data evaluation and modeling.
- Advanced understanding of linear algebra, calculus, and bayesian statistics.
- Software engineering skills.
- Knowledge of computer architecture.
4. Cloud Computing
More and more companies are moving towards cloud solutions.
It is estimated that by 2025, the cloud will store over 100 zettabytes of data in it.
In simple words, cloud computing can be defined as the storing and accessing of data and computing services such as servers, data storage, networking, and databases over the internet (cloud).
According to Ambitionbox, the average annual salary of cloud engineers in India is Rs 5.4 Lakhs. This number is based on 7.7k salaries received from cloud engineers.
What Does a Cloud Engineer Do?
- Build and maintain cloud infrastructure.
- Monitor cloud infrastructure components like networking and security services.
- Migrate databases of the companies to the cloud.
- Design cloud solutions for clients.
- Manage software and hardware associated with the use of cloud computing.
Skills Required to Become Cloud Engineer:
- Knowledge of programming languages such as SQL, Java, Python, Ruby, .NET, Golang, and PHP.
- Cloud database management skills.
- Understanding of DevOps practices.
- Knowledge of open standards, such as XML (Extensible Markup Language), SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol), WSDL (Web Services Description Language), and UDDI (Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration)
5. Mobile App Development
In 2022, the total number of mobile users in the world is estimated to be 6.6 billion.
By 2023, mobile apps are expected to generate a revenue of $935 billion.
49% of people open an app 11+ times each day.
All these stats show us that if a company wants to succeed they need to develop its own apps.
This means that companies would be actively looking for mobile app developers.
If you know how to develop an awesome app you can earn a lot of money.
What Does a Mobile App Developer Do?
- Understand what are the objectives of the brand and how it aligns with the customer needs.
- Develop application programming interfaces (APIs) to support mobile functionality.
- Create, program, and test the app on all mobile platform devices like smartphones and tablets.
- Coordinate with the UI/UX designers.
- Ensure all the things are functioning properly both in the front end and back end.
Skills Required to Become a Mobile App Developer:
- Proficiency in Java, Kotlin, React.js, and Objective-C.
- Knowledge of Syntax.
- Understanding of Ul/UX design.
- Cross-platform application development.
- Expertise in using GIT.
6. Ul Design
User Design (UI) refers to the visually appealing elements on the website or app like buttons, toggles, icons, images, colours, typography, and animations.
Ul designers are in high demand since every other company wants an attractive and convenient interface for their website or app.
What Does a UI Designer Do?
- Design all the screens through which a user will move. Add buttons, icons, images, and animations.
- Decide which fonts and colours to use.
- Understand human behaviour and make an intuitive interface that is easy on the eye and simple to use.
Skills Required to Become a UI Designer:
- Ability to solve problems with innovative solutions.
- Desire to push the boundaries of design.
- Attention to detail.
- Understanding the impact of colours, fonts, and design elements on human psychology.
- Knowledge of design principles.
- Expertise in using design tools like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Figma, Sketch, and Proto.io.
8. UX Design
A User experience (UX) is concerned with enhancing the personal experience a user will get through while interacting with your app or website.
Think of the last time when you were using an app to book a movie ticket or while you were browsing through the website.
Did you find it easy to navigate?
Was the experience of using the app smooth?
The UX designer is concerned with all of these interactions.
The demand for UX designers is rapidly increasing.
In 2020, LinkedIn ranked UX design as one of the top 5 in-demand skills.
On the other hand, Glassdoor has ranked the UX designer job at 24th position in their list of the best 50 jobs to have in 2022.
What Does a UX Designer Do?
- Identify the goals, behaviour, and pain points of the user.
- Understand what problem your brand is trying to solve.
- Create flow diagrams, prototypes, and wireframing to help the client understand what the final product will look like.
- Conduct A/B tests, polls, surveys, and usability tests to improve the user experience.
Skills Required to Become a UX Designer:
- Wireframing and prototyping.
- User testing.
- UX writing.
- User empathy.
- Understand how users will interact with your design.
Key Differences Between UI and UX:
A lot of people get confused between UI and UX. Although both of them are different things. Both UI and UX designers play a very important role in product development.
|A UI designer focuses on the graphical portions of mobile apps and websites
|The UX designer focuses on the experience a user has with a product
|Let's take an example of a hotel booking app. The beautiful fonts, buttons, images, and fonts that you see in the app are UI
|The loading speed of the app and the total number of clicks that you take to search, analyze and book a hotel on a hotel booking app is UX
8. Graphic Designing
Every other company is looking for innovative graphic designers who can visually communicate their brand message, increase brand visibility, build credibility, turn leads into customers and ultimately increase the conversion rate.
What Does a Graphic Designer Do?
- Develop the overall layout and production design for books, advertisements, brochures, magazines, etc.
- Build brand identity by designing logos and selecting the right color palettes and typography.
- Develop an attractive packaging of a product.
- Understand the brand message and the psychology of the target audience.
Skills Required to Become a Graphic Designer:
- Expertise in using Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Audience targeting.
- Understanding of how UI and UX design work.
- Creativity and ideation.
- Understanding of colour theory and typography.
9. Social Media Marketing
I don't have to explain to you the importance and craze of social media in today's world.
A single notification from Instagram will disturb our whole working schedule.
Previously, it was used to communicate with our family and friends.
But, now social media can influence our decisions and change our behavioural patterns.
Companies use social media to increase brand awareness, generate leads, and increase sales.
Companies regularly need social media marketers who can utilize the power of social media and help them increase their sales.
What Does a Social Media Marketer Do?
- Understand the interests, goals, professions, and demographics of the target audience and create social media posts that resonate with them.
- Analyze the social media metrics.
- Stay up-to-date with social media trends and best practices.
- Engage with the users on social media.
- Use social listening tools to understand what people are saying about the company on social media.
- Create ads that generate leads and increase sales.
Skills Required to Become a Social Media Marketer:
- Passion for storytelling.
- Understanding of statistics and analytics.
- A knack for building strong relationships.
- Knowledge of colour theory and typography.
- Expertise in using Facebook Ads.
Copywriting is the process of crafting persuasive messages for ads, marketing materials, and websites that inspire people to take action.
If you master the art of copywriting you will definitely earn a lot of money.
Many people don't understand the potential of this field.
But, let me tell you that every business on this planet needs a good copywriter.
Because every business needs someone who can use words that piques curiosity, connect emotionally, and increase sales.
Difference Between Copywriting and Content Writing:
Now, a lot of people get confused between copywriting and content writing.
Although these two fields are completely different, both of them are very important for the functioning of the business.
|The sole purpose of copywriting is to inspire people to take an action like signing up for an email, calling a number, or buying a product.
|The purpose of content writing is to inform or entertain the readers.
|Copywriting is used in advertising.
|A content writer writes blogs, social media posts, scripts for videos, whitepapers, etc.
|Copywriters help companies to generate leads and increase sales from the trust built by content writers. Hence, they earn a lot more than content writers.
|A content writer builds trust for the Copywriters to work upon.
What Does a Copywriter Do?
- Brainstorm ideas for marketing campaigns.
- Pitch marketing ideas to clients.
- Conduct market research and understand the psychology and behavioural pattern of the target audience.
- Research about the product and competitors.
- Write advertisements, slogans, emails, sales letters, speeches, billboards and posters copy, etc.
- Analyze campaign results.
Skills Required to Become a Copywriter:
- Stellar research skills.
- Ability to write with empathy.
- Desire to write something new.
- Understanding of human psychology.
- Command on sentence structure, grammar, and vocabulary.
Learning any of these on-demand digital skills will ensure you a bright future and with a good experience, you will get a high salary as well.
Since all of these skills have a huge demand in the future; building a career in these fields will always be fruitful for you.
Now, it's not necessary that you have to choose skills from this list only. There are tons of other digital skills that we have not mentioned in this article.
So, research more about them and find the skill which you find interesting.
Do courses online and find internships. You can even learn more than 1 skill as well.
What digital marketing skills are in demand?
Digital marketing skills that are in demand are Copywriting, Social media marketing, Paid advertising, Search engine optimization (SEO), Search engine marketing (SEM), and Content marketing.
Which skill is best for the future?
The skills that will have huge demand in the future are Artificial intelligence (AI), Mobile app development, Cloud computing, Blockchain, Data Science, UI/UX design, etc.
Which skill makes the most money?
Some of the high-paying skills are project management, mobile application development, cloud computing, etc.
What are the 6 basic skills in developing digital skills?
Six basic skills in developing digital skills are information fluency, collaboration fluency, solution fluency, media fluency, creativity fluency, and digital ethics.