Online learning is everywhere now. You can find a course for almost every skill online. It has spread the reach of knowledge as anyone can learn from anywhere. This sounds like a business opportunity, isn't it?
According to a survey, The number of enrolled users for various online courses was 1.6 Million in 2016, which is expected to touch 9.6 Million by the end of 2021. Online learning or Elearning has a vast reach and can bring you some customers. You can not only earn from selling your courses online but there are many other benefits of it too. Let’s see what online courses and its advantages are?
What Are Online Courses?
As you have already guessed by the name, it is the courses you can take on your phone, tablet, laptop, desktop or even on your smart TV. But the thing is, they are much more than that. For some people, they are much better than traditional classes, as there is no distraction from other people. But it is not always true for some people as they have always learned in schools or colleges and have a habit of learning with other peoples. So, this might be a disadvantage of an online course that it doesn’t attract all kind of people.
Importance Of Online Courses
- Flexibility: Online courses can be taken from anywhere. So, people who travel a lot, don’t have to miss their classes. Therefore, as a business owner (online course provider), you don’t have to worry about your customers.
- Payment: You don’t have to worry about getting paid for your online course as people will have to pay before starting their online course. So, unlike traditional courses, you don’t have to ask people to pay their fees.
- Potential Customers: If you provide free courses on your website, then you can identify your potential customers. Only those people will take your online course who are really interested. And if they learn something from you for free, they are most likely to buy your product.
- Lower Cost: Both for the course provider and the students, the cost is going to be minimum. As a course provider, you don’t have to invest in a place for the classes, other resources, teachers, etc. And as a student, you don’t have to spend time and money on commuting.
- Internal Training: You can give online training to your own employees. It will save time and will be effective for your new employee as employees can learn while serving their job.
Also Read: How to Run Webinars & the Benefits of it
- Opportunity to Build Network: Nowadays most of the online courses create a common group (mostly on Facebook) to clear the doubts of the students and run interactive sessions. Thus you may build a network with the community members by joining such groups. You may discover new opportunities from those groups.
There are so many advantages of taking and giving online courses. These were some of them.
How To Create An Online Course
- Topic: First and most important step to creating an online course is to decide the perfect topic which will be best for your students. If you are going to give a free course, then chose something related to your own product. For example, if your company deals with the raw material of clothes, then you can provide a course on designing clothes.
- Do a Market Research: After finalizing the topic, you should do complete market research on your upcoming course. If there is high demand for this course or if people are asking too many questions about it. Check the competition and what are the shortcomings of your competitors. Try to fix those loopholes and make your course unique.
- Outlines: Just like we did while writing eBooks, you have to outline the whole course. Write about what you want your students to learn. First, write all the things you can think of. Then, shortlist the content and remove the unnecessary content or which don’t directly affects the skill.
- Structure Modules: Structure the modules of the classes. Plan how much will they learn in how many days. Don’t include too much content for any of the class.
- Edit the material: Edit your content, which could be anything, videos, written, audio, etc. If you think you are not good at editing, then hire someone as it is a crucial part of your online course.
- Test: Test your classes on someone. Try teaching someone. Focus on the number of days they learn from your course. Also, if possible, then take a test of their learning. It will help you to know how much your students will learn.
- Pricing Model: Create the pricing model for your online course. Try to predict the number of students you will get. Then make sure that you cover all your expenses with that pricing.
- Choose The Platform: Chose the platform you want to release your online course on. You can go for online course marketplace like courser or skillshare, etc. Or you can opt for some learning management systems like Adobe Captivate Prime,Teachable etc. And last and the best option, you can release the course on your own website. It will be the best option if you are going to provide the course for free.
- Launch: Now, when you have the material, you have checked everything and chosen the platform, then what are you waiting for? It is the best time to launch your course online. Even If you are short in your budget then find out inexpensive ways to launch your course. Just do it.
You can provide online courses for your new tool or just general knowledge of some techniques. Or, you can spread your reach by providing free courses. But online courses can be an amazing opportunity for passive income. Just create some online course and you will keep earning when people keep learning from your course. You can then update your course anytime you want.
The only thing to keep in mind is that the topic should be useful to people. Moreover, you should have a good experience in that topic so that you can influence people to buy your course. Make sure that you make the course easy to understand and interesting to learn. If you are not familiar with creating online courses, then hire someone who is. It would be a good investment for your passive income.