The term “FinTech” is the combination of finance and technology and is referred to the provision of new solutions in the field of finance by IT venture companies. New business models are being created one after another, particularly in the area of B to C services using the Internet. The major difference between these new businesses and traditional finance companies is their thought regarding IT investment.
The use of information technology is generating dramatic changes in financial services making it more easier and efficient to use. Payment services were previously having the players like banks and credit card companies, but now variety of new players have entered the field making it more easier and beneficial for the people of the country. Correspondingly, UPI payments impacted FinTech Industry.
Why is UPI growing at such a rate?
- One of the reasons why UPI services has been adopted globally with trust. When you use UPI to pay for things, card information is not shared with merchants, meaning that even if the merchants are hacked, people using UPI payments are safe from leaking information.
- Another reason why UPI payments is revolutionizing the Fintech Industry is its hassle free approach to pay and register. All that is required to validate your UPI is simply an authentication of your Aadhar card, your finger prints are scanned and your mobile phone number is verified.
The Indian society have a strong fear of fraud, both in physical retail and online. Although governmental interventions to use digital transfer modes for payments had taken place in India, it is still a very cash-based society. If we take a look at credit card usage, which is a basic form of digital payments, adoption of such payment services are low in the states of India as compared to the US, UK, Japan or South Korea. Building trust in digital payments services is the key.
The take-up of digital payments or any other FinTech services will be about how the FinTech industry can provide customers with comfort and trust, enabling them to feel safe and secure using the service. The use of mobile is already driving the biggest change in financial services history. Mobile is considered as the fastest mass adoption of a technology in history than any other technology. There are already 7.2 billion mobile devices today. With UPI payment services, mobile was only 1% of all transactions in 2010, it is now above 45% in 2019.
How UPI impacted the fintech industry in India?
CEO of National Institution for Transforming India (NITI), Amitabh Kant in an interview had said that Fintech market in India is likely to expand to $31 billion in 2020 and this owes largely to the use of UPI payments. This is mostly because India is the only country in the world with over a billion mobile connections and bio-metrics, provides an enough scope and opportunity for penetration of fintech technology.
Indian FinTech market is estimated to jump to $140 billion in 2023 and by 2025, Fintech industry valuation is estimated at $150-160 billion.
- UPI has made payments easier: Gone are the days, when people used to carry huge bundle of cashes as they traveled or visited a restaurant. With the introduction of UPI payments, it is now become an easier and more secure while travelling.
- UPI has made the buying and selling easier through e-commerce: UPI has made the buying and selling through fintech app solution, easier for the e-commerce companies. When a diverse range of devices are connected via the Internet of Things (IoT), it possible to obtain historical data concerning peoples’ daily activities. Using these life-logs, the e-commerce platforms are able to analyse patterns of regular and illicit activity, increasing their ability to detect illicit activity.
- Enhancing trust for both customers and businesses: UPI payments has initiated and created a trust between the buyers and sellers. This is due to the privacy that is maintained within the system. UPI transactions are always payer initiated and demands the approval of the payer by an OTP. This is focused on person-to-person (P2P) transfers.
- Payments via UPI are extremely quick: Another noteworthy feature of the UPI that has created a huge demand for it in the Fintech industry is that the payments or transactions are done extremely swift. There is no lag and delay which helps in the smooth flow of business.
- With UPI you can directly link your account to the BANK and there is no need for virtual wallets: There are many virtual wallet companies like Paypal, PayTM, Mobikwik etc, which requires you to put some money within the virtual wallet, but with the use of UPI payment you can directly use the money from your savings account.
- You may also keep a record of your bank transactions through UPI: UPI also enables you to keep a record of the withdrawals and deposits, this saves time for people who would have otherwise visited the bank to update their passbooks. This creates a major benefit for the elderly people who do not need to visit banks and they can transfer whatever amounts they want through an application.
UPI in the last two years has made another innovation where you can request credit through your overdraft (OD) account. This latest value addition eliminates the risk of fraud credit card calls and the risk assessment involved through traditional credit facilities from banks. Thus we can rightly say that a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship has emerged with the use of UPI in the Fintech Industry and we could not have been more proud. It Revolutionised the idea of daily payments and also improvised on the security of transfers.
What is UPI full form?
UPI's full form is Unified Payments Interface.
What is UPI in banking?
Unified Payments Interface (UPI) is an instant payment system developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
What is a FinTech industry?
FinTech stands for Financial technology. FinTech is an economic industry that includes companies that use technology to make financial services quick and efficient.
What is UPI Technology?
UPI is a unified interface of NPCI that merges various banking services and wallets payment and other features under one payment system. One UPI ID and a pin are generated. A UPI ID and Pin are used to send and receive money and real-time bank-to-bank payments can be made.
Must have tools for startups - Recommended by StartupTalky
Subscribe to Startup Talky
Get the latest posts delivered to you right in your inbox