From waking up in the morning to going to bed at night, every aspect of our life revolves around numerous brands. From your toothbrush to your salt shaker, we are surrounded by products from different brands; in short, we can't live without them. Would you like to know some fun facts about the brands that you hear about every day? People and products have a unique tale to tell. Every brand's backstory is filled with facts one cannot miss!
Through this article, we list out some interesting facts about brands that will leave you in awe for sure. Let's dive right into them.
40 Jaw-Dropping Brand Facts
- Reliance Jio has become India's most dominant telecom player. It enjoys immense popularity among households and there is at least one person in the family with a Jio connection. Ever wondered about the meaning behind Jio? The word Jio is a mirror image of the word Oil!
2. We all have purchased something from Amazon some time or the other but rarely do we pay attention to its logo; that curved arrow from A to Z is there for a reason. Well, it’s to tell everyone that Amazon sells A-to-Z products, i.e., items from almost every product category.
3. The Facebook color scheme is set to blue because Mark Zuckerberg suffers from red-green color blindness.
4. Candy Crush is one of the most downloaded games today. People obsess over unlocking the next level in Candy Crush. Did you know that Candy Crush brings in more than $633,000 in revenue every day? One's obsession becomes someone else's income.
5. Google was initially called BackRub. The research project Sergey Brin and Larry Page undertook at Stanford University was termed BackRub but in 1997, they renamed their search engine to Google because it was a play on the mathematical expression for the number 1 followed by 100 zeros.
6. Pepsi got its name from pepsin, the digestive enzyme. The name Pepsi was chosen because Caleb Bradham, the inventor of the famous drink, believed that his drink was a 'healthy' cola that helped with digestion.
7. The retina scan technology of your Apple product is not made by Apple but manufactured by Samsung.
8. To make a perfect pint of Guinness, pour it at an inclination of 45 degrees for 119.5 seconds precisely.
10. The word LEGO is formed from the Danish word “Leg Godt” which means 'play well' in English. In Latin, it means ‘putting together’.
11. The famous mobile behemoth Nokia started its journey as a wood mill in the Nokia city of Finland. The brand then entered into the rubber products segment. These Interesting Facts About Nokia Will Surprise You!
12. The name VOLKSWAGEN means ‘Peoples Car’ in German.
13. The actor who played the role of 'Marlboro man' in the advertisements for Marlboro cigarettes died due to lung cancer, something predictable.
14. The siren logo of STARBUCKS is used to indulge people in the seductive character of the coffee.
15. The key ingredient behind the popular ABSOLUT VODKA is two pounds of winter wheat. Winter wheat is used because of its high starch content. Also, the plant is very sturdy and does not require the use of pesticides and fertilizers. ABSOLUT VODKA does not contain any genetically modified ingredients.
16. The Guinness book of world Records has declared Tupperware as one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century.
17. The McDonald's outlet near Buckingham place is owned by the Queen of England, so bow before eating your burger there!
18. Napoleon's wife hired a person named LOUIS VUITTON to make box covers and pack her luggage.
19. Google hired a camel called 'Raffia' to create a street view of the Liwa desert in the UAE.
20. Be careful when you converse with Siri since Apple analyses each statement before processing it.
21. 300 hours of videos are uploaded to YouTube every minute. No wonder you never run out of new content to watch on YouTube.
22. The trademark red color wasn’t Ferrari's first preference.
23. CARLSBERG beer used the Swastika symbol in its logo till 1940 to demonstrate ancient culture and heritage.
24. The Twitter bird has a name, and this blue birdie is called Lary. Know some uncommon facts of the Twitter creator, Jack Dorsey.
25. Microsoft Corporation acquired SKYPE for the US $8 million in 2011.
26. The CIA reads 5 million tweets daily.
27. The original name of Amazon was ‘Cadabara’ but was changed soon due to pronunciation issues.
28. Coca-Cola has around 3500 beverages and 500 products under its catalog.
29. eBay has 25 million sellers and 157 million registered buyers. The number keeps increasing every second. Click here to know more of eBay's interesting & unknown facts.
30. Five IBM employees have won the Nobel prize for their excellent performance in the field of technology to date.
31. BEN & JERRY, famous for its ice-creams, originally planned to be a bagels company.
32. The original name of the famous toy BARBIE is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
33. McDonald’s feeds more than 68 million people every day. This figure outnumbers the United Kingdom's population.
34. 'Mercedes' is named after Mercedes Jellinek, the daughter of businessman Emil Jellinek who bought Daimler vehicles (the parent company of Mercedes).
35. The name Adobe came from the river Adobe Creek that ran behind the house of Adobe Systems Inc's co-founder John Warnock.
36. Burj Khalifa is the tallest building in the world and has been constructed by Samsung.
37. Starbucks has added an average of two stores daily since 1987.
38. Levi Strauss was an aristocrat. He didn’t wear his brand of denim pants because they were meant for the labor class.
39. In 1999 Netflix started offering subscription-based DVD service. Even now around 2.7 Million people subscribe to Netflix’s DVD service. Know more about Netflix's interesting facts here.
40. LinkedIn has an overall of 675 million users from all over the world, while 310 million of them are monthly active users. 38.6% of the LinkedIn traffic comes from the countries like the US with 38.6% and India with 16.8%. These Facts and Statistics will help you optimize LinkedIn better.
We hope you enjoyed reading these facts. If you know any interesting facts about a famous company or are aware of some amazing backstory behind a popular brand/organization, do comment.
Must have tools for startups - Recommended by StartupTalky
Subscribe to StartupTalky
Get the latest insights delivered to you right in your inbox