When you start learning a new Programming Language or we can say Web Development, you will invariably find yourself wanting to turn to Google and do a search for “free resources to learn Web Development”.
Maybe you are one of those people who just want to start a career as a Web Developer or you have not thought about it. If you don't know about Web Development then let me tell you that it is among the highest paying jobs in the world. So, it's a great option to become a web developer.
Web development can get expensive. Thankfully, many resources are available on web development that is completely free as well as it makes you productive in your work.
If you are looking for some free resources to get started with web development, there are plenty of them out there. It can be overwhelming browsing through all the sites to try and find the best ones. Well, I did it for you! Below is a comprehensive list of free resources that will help you get started with web development.
Before we talk about free resources to learn Web Development we have to see a complete roadmap. The technologies we should be familiar with, as well as the frameworks to learn. After that, we will check the free resources.
So, Let's get started.
What is Web Development?
Web development is the process of creating web pages online and optimizing them for web searches. It comprises different tasks such as web design, web publishing, web programming, and database management. Web developer uses different technologies and programming languages to build responsive websites.
Web development jobs are some of the most in-demand of the 21st century and you can use free, open-source resources to learn how to become a web developer.
Why Web Development is a good career?
Web development is a career that has been around for decades but its popularity has surged in the last few years.
There are many reasons for this, from the fact that you get to constantly develop new skill sets and become an expert in your field to the fact that the internet has made it easier than ever before to start and run a business from anywhere in the world.
It’s also no surprise that web development is recognized as one of the best careers of 2022 due to its high-income capacity, flexibility, and hundreds of job openings for programmers online every day as companies have sought out skilled Web Developers to build their web presence.
Following are the benefits you should get as a web developer:
- Fun and Easy to learn: Web Development is one of the easiest and most popular technologies that everyone is trying to learn. The demand for it is growing and more and more people are getting involved in it.
- High-Demand: Web Development is in high demand across the world. According to Google, it's the 5th most popular technology in the world.
- High-paid jobs: Web Development is one of the highest-paid jobs across the world. If we talk about India then according to Payscale the average salary of a web developer is almost 4-7 lakhs per annum.
- Jobs Flexibility: Web development is an in-demand skill that can bring flexibility, creativity, and more opportunities in your career. No matter where you go, people will need your help to build or improve their websites or make designs for print materials. Even you can start your Freelancing career.
Web Development Types
Web Development is classified in two ways i.e.:
- Front-End Development (also known as "client-side" application).
- Back-end Development (also known as "server-side" application).
Let's get to know more about ways of web development.
What is Front-End Development?
Front-End Developers are responsible for structuring, organizing, designing, behavior, and many more to a website. Whenever we open any website responsive, performance, and designing all of these things come under front-end developers.
- HTML: HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language. They are the HTML programmer that creates the content, navigation, and other parts of a website. When building a website, you will need a web designer who can build custom website templates to your specifications. You will also need an HTML programmer to create the code, project management, and other components that are needed for your website to be functional.
- CSS: CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets. CSS is a way for a designer or developer to control how elements appear on the screen. Let's use as an example a heading that says "My Article". If you're using HTML, that heading would look something like this: My Article. With CSS, you can use that same My Article tag, and make it display in many different ways using CSS.
Once you know about the basic concepts then you can start learning libraries and frameworks such as React, Angular, and Vue.js.
What is Back-End development?
Back-end development is the process of building software that runs on a web server and most often interacts with a database. Sometimes referred to as server-side development. The backend is the part of the website you can't see. It's what makes your website function and allows you to update, add, or delete content.
It's the opposite of front-end development, which is what many designers, marketers, and people in the creative industries develop.
Now let's get to know more about back-end languages and how these languages are allowing us to develop back-end parts.
- PHP: PHP, which stands for Hypertext Preprocessor, is a server-side programming language commonly used to build websites and apps. It can be found in most web servers and is often referred to as a “buildup” programming language because it adds functionality and capabilities to HTML documents and other source code.
- C++: C++ is a statically typed, free-form, multiparadigm, compiled, general-purpose programming language. It is regarded as "both elegant and efficient and is one of the most popular programming languages in use today". It's also used as a back-end language.
- Java: Java programming language is used by lots of developers all over the world to develop a wide range of projects and applications like software, games, and Web-based apps, along with other operating systems. People are using different Java tools through which they can create a lot of programs both small and large.
- Python: Python is an open-source programming language used for general-purpose programming. It can be used to develop desktop applications, web applications, network applications, and even games. Some of the major companies which use python are Google and Yahoo.
These are the programming language which is mainly used as a back-end language. There are some back-end frameworks such as Express, Django, Rails, Laravel, Spring, etc. that makes your life so much easy and more productive.
So these are the basic technologies that are mainly used in the back-end part and you have to learn any of them. Once you have a great knowledge of these technologies you can say yourself a Full-Stack Web Developer.
Now, most of you have heard about "MERN" and "MEAN" tech stacks.
MERN (MongoDB, Express, React, Node): If you have chosen React as a framework then you will become a MERN developer.
MEAN (MongoDB, Express, Angular, Node): If you have chosen Angular as a framework then you will become a MEAN developer.
Now, let's get to know free resources to learn Web Development.
15+ Best Online Resources to Learn Web Development
freeCodeCamp is an online coding Bootcamp that helps people learn Full Stack Web Development. Not only this, but you can also learn trending technologies like Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Data Scientist, and many more.
Unlike other resources, freeCodeCamp is an all-volunteer, community-run effort conducted by passionate volunteers across the globe who are always ready to help you with their YouTube Channels, subreddit, forum, and Discord server.
Devdocs.io is the best tool in your developer's toolbox. DevDocs is a documentation service that helps developers find and understand code. It offers two main features: Documentation Search and Code Snippets. It combines multiple API documentations in a fast, organized, and searchable interface. This is one of the best resources for any developer to learn any technologies.
As a Web Developer, you can use DevDocs as a reference to understand many concepts and implement them on your project.
It also provides you with paid courses for advanced learning.
The Roadmap is a collaborative and visual project management tool designed to help software developers to create roadmaps, guides, and teams to plan and manage projects more effectively and efficiently. It’s a hybrid solution that combines the benefits of online collaboration with the ease of use of desktop applications. This is one of the best websites for any developer to guide any path.
Users can access Roadmap from any device, whether they’re at home, in the office, or on the road. The platform integrates with third-party services like Dropbox, Google Drive, and Salesforce to store documents securely in the cloud.
Mozilla Developer Network(MDN)
If you are finding yourself in a tough spot where the documentation for a particular API just isn't cutting it — head over to MDN and search for your solution.
W3 Schools ‘the most popular and complete web development tutorial site on the Internet.'
The Odin Project
Following are the 3 courses provided by The Odin projects:
- Foundation: In this, you will learn all the essential tools that are needed to build real and working websites.
- Full-stack Ruby on Rails: After completing the foundation course, this course takes you to the entire ruby on rails curriculum.
Currently, Udemy is the best platform to learn any technology whether it is Web development or any other.
While most of the courses are not free but they are budget-friendly for any student. Here are some of the best courses that you can enroll.
While you complete this course you will earn 4 Certification as a Proof of your Competence.
Created by: Tech Learning network, Mark Lassof.
Course content: 84 sections • 523 lectures • 45h 44m total length
The Complete 2020 Fullstack Web Developer Course
Learn HTML5, CSS3, Vanilla JS (ES6+), Python, Wagtail CMS, PHP, and MySQL all from scratch to an advanced level and build a Login/Registration/Members-only website, just like Facebook which is great.
Created by: Kalob Taulein.
Course content: 67 sections • 695 lectures • 66h 52m total length.
Learn Web Designing & HTML5/CSS3 Essentials in 4-Hours
In this course, you will learn how to shred up a Photoshop Design into an amazing and hand-code valid HTML5 & CSS3 website with proper knowledge. It doesn't require any prior knowledge.
In the end, you will be able to divert a PSD into a gorgeous, functional, and valid HTML5 & CSS3 website.
Created by: Brad Hussey, Code college.
Course content: 8 sections • 24 lectures • 4h 11m total length.
YouTube is one of the most used websites in the world. It's like a goldmine for software developers to understand any concepts easily. Here are the 4 most amazing YouTube channels that provide a full course on Web Development:
CodeWithHarry is a first-of-its-kind initiative to demystify web development and bring it closer to the masses. The mantra, "Anybody can do it" captures the idea behind this initiative. Whether you are a developer or just want to code; if you follow CodeWithHarry, you will be able to develop your passion into reality!
CodeWithHarry provides you with a full course on Web Development which includes HTML, CSS, JS, React, Angular, PHP, Java, and many more languages.
Traversy Media is one of the best YouTube channels right now to learn HTML, CSS, JS, React, Angular, and Vue.js from absolute beginners to advanced levels.
The Net Ninja
1. CSS Tricks
As you all know that CSS plays an important role while developing a website. So it's to know CSS tricks that are very useful for any developer while developing websites.
This website will help you to practice CSS tricks and also provides you with videos, articles, guides, and many more.
2. CSS Battle
You may be wondering, what the heck is CSS Battle? Let me fill you in on how it works. Basically, for 24 hours two CSS artists will code each other's sites live. These coders include front-end developers, designers, and artists. It has been an interesting concept that some may have never heard of.
3. Coding Dojo
Coding Dojo is one of the best online platforms to improve your coding skills through its own coding platform, challenges, videos, and assessments.
In this article, you will find some of the best online resources by which you can learn web development. This guide has been written so that you do not face any difficulty while learning from the web platforms. You will see a lot of websites offering web development courses, but not all of the platforms are worth choosing. However, the list of best online resources given below is a great start for your learning. So, pick one and make a start!
What is Web Development?
Web Development is the process of creating web pages online and optimizing them for web searches.
What are the types of Web Development?
Web Development is classified in two ways i.e.:
Front-End Development (also known as "client-side" application).
Back-end Development (also known as "server-side" application).
What is Front-end development?
Front-end development refers to anything that you see on the page in the browser once it is loaded by the browser.
What is Back-end development?
Back-end development is the process of building software that runs on a web server and most often interacts with a database.
Must have tools for startups - Recommended by StartupTalky
Subscribe to StartupTalky
Get the latest insights delivered to you right in your inbox