Most eCommerce brands focus on improving their social media presence. While social media is very important, a brand is missing out on a very big opportunity if it is not incorporating email marketing into its marketing strategies.
So, if you think email marketing will not help you in growing your customer base and revenue then its statistics will be an eye-opener for you. In this article, we will be mentioning various email marketing statistics for eCommerce that will help you to create a powerful marketing strategy for your eCommerce brand.
- Personalization and Segmentation Statistics
- Best Time and Day to Send Emails Statistics
- Visual Content in Email Statistics
- Mobile Optimization Statistics
- Email Automation Statistics
Why Should You Care About Email Marketing?
The following stats show why you should care about email marketing:
- The number of email users worldwide in 2020 was recorded to be 4 billion. This number is expected to grow to 4.6 billion users by the year 2025. This stat shows that there is a huge opportunity to attract and engage users and ultimately increase the revenue of an eCommerce store.
- In 2020, it was recorded that 306 billion emails were sent and received each day. This figure is expected to grow to over 376 billion daily emails in 2025. This shows that almost every other person is using email for communication. So, no matter how big or small your eCommerce business is, it is important that you should use emails to build a connection with your target audience.
- 82% of marketers worldwide are taking advantage of email marketing to grow their business.
- In 2020 the global email marketing market was valued at 7.5 billion USD. This figure is expected to increase to 17.9 billion USD by 2027. This shows the true potential of email marketing.
- For every 1 dollar spent on email marketing, business owners can expect an ROI of an average of 42 USD. This indicates that if you write a compelling email and segment your audience properly you can surely increase your rate of interest.
- About 81% of SMBs use email marketing for customer acquisition.
- 80% of retailers said that email is the biggest source of customer retention for them.
- 99% of email users tend to check their email every other day, with some checking 20 times a day. Out of these people, 58% check their email first thing in the morning.
Thus, emails are an integral part of people's lives and the statistics above clearly show why you should care about email marketing. Now, we will discuss email marketing statistics for eCommerce from the perspective of different segments.
Email Marketing Statistics for ECommerce in 2022
Email marketing is an essential component of the success of an eCommerce business. The following are some of the most important statistics for eCommerce in 2022:
Personalization and Segmentation Statistics
Writing generic subject lines and email copy won't get any eCommerce business more clicks rather you might end up in the spam folder. You need to write emails that are tailored according to your target audience's needs. So, an important thing to get the most out of email marketing is to focus on personalization and segmentation of the emails as per the audience as it can increase click and open rates. The following stats show the importance of personalization and segmentation in email marketing:
- Emails with a personalized subject line have 50% higher open rates. When talking about personalization most people just think about inserting the name of their customers in the subject line. Well, this is a great tactic, you can also narrow it down further by targeting their age group, demographics, hobbies, and desires. This will help you to string a direct connection with your audience.
- In tune with this, 88% of email users said that they will reply to an email if they know that the email is specifically written for them. This shows that you need to make your readers feel special.
- Emails that target the hobbies of the users, generate an open rate of 27.35%. One can conduct quizzes or surveys to find out the likes and dislikes of the target audience.
- Ecommerce brands that used segmentation in their email marketing strategy witnessed a hike of 760% in their revenue.
- Once the user has made their first purchase or created an account on your store you should send a welcome email to them. Many of you might think that nobody reads welcome emails but, a recent study found that 82% of consumers open welcome emails.
- 15.8% of all the emails end up in the spam folder. To avoid this make sure that there are no spam words present in the email copy and subject line. Also, it is important to follow the rules of the CAN-SPAM Act.
- According to the email users, they don't like the following things in personalization:
- Recommending products and services that don't match their needs (34%).
- Inappropriate season or location offers (14%).
- Expired offers (24%).
- Already purchased promotions (13%).
After writing a perfect email your job is not over yet. You need to send emails at the right time and the right day to make sure that your recipients read the email so that your eCommerce business gets the most out of its email marketing strategy.
Best Time and Day to Send Emails Statistics
Sending the emails at the right time and day can increase your open rates. Here, are some interesting statistics that will help your eCommerce brand achieve the maximum open and click rates:
- The best time to send emails is 8 AM followed by 1 PM, 4 PM, and 6 PM.
- Monday has the highest email open rates (22.0%).
- Although, Tuesday gets the highest click-through rates (2.4%).
- Wednesday and Tuesday received the highest click-to-open rates (10.8%).
What is the difference between the open rate and click-through rate?
In simple words, the open rate refers to the total number of people that simply opened your email whereas the click-through rate refers to the percentage of people who completed the desired action in your email against the total number of people who opened it.
You don’t need to mandatorily stick to these times and days only. You need to understand who is your target audience, what their day looks like, when they are working and when they are free. You need to send emails on different days and times to understand which day and time works the best for your eCommerce business.
Visual Content in Email Statistics
Nobody likes a vanilla-style email. Instead of just plain texts, you can pack your email copy with exciting images, videos, and even emojis. The following are some of the important statistics about visual content in email marketing:
- 68% of millennials love emails that contain emojis, GIFs, and stickers.
- Emojis in the subject lines have a 56% higher open rate. So, you can use different emojis that match your brand's voice for effective marketing.
- According to Forrester, adding a video to your email copy can increase your CTR by 200-300%. This shows that users love receiving information in the form of videos.
- Even if you just insert the word 'video', you can increase your open rates by 19% and CTR by 65%.
- Emails that have some kind of image witness an open rate of 27% and CTR of 4.5% than that of plain text-based emails (20% and 3%).
Mobile Optimization Statistics
Most people access their apps via mobiles. This is why it is extremely important that you optimize your emails for mobiles otherwise you can lose your subscribers. Below are a few of the email marketing statistics for eCommerce that show the importance of mobile optimization:
- 59% of millennials use mobile phones to check their emails.
- 67% of the Gen Z check their email inbox on mobiles.
- 42.3% of email recipients will delete your previous email if they are not able to read the email properly on the mobile. This means that you need to format your emails properly and make them mobile-friendly always.
Email Automation Statistics
Email automation is another great strategy that can save your time, increase open rates and click-through rates, and thus, ultimately help you grow your revenue. The following are some important email automation statistics:
- Brands that use email automation can save 30% of the time.
- Automating your emails leads to 22% higher lead generation.
- Automated emails generate 17% more revenue than non-automated emails.
- Triggered emails generate a higher open rate of 70.5% and witness a 152% higher click-through rate than generic emails.
- Brands send the following types of emails using email automation tools:
- Welcome emails (47%)
- Promotional emails (46%)
- Transactional emails (28%)
- Invitations and reminders (27%)
- Blog updates (26%)
- Upselling emails (23%)
- Event-triggered emails based on customer lifecycle (15%), etc.
In order to boost the email marketing strategy for your eCommerce business, first understand the needs, hobbies, demographics, and pain points of your target audience to write a compelling email. Use personalization and segmentation to boost your open rates and click-through rates. Don't just send a plain email. Instead of sending plain emails, add videos and pictures in your email copy. You can even add emojis in your subject lines. Optimize your emails for mobile and use email automation to boost your revenue.
At last, use A/B testing to find which version of your email are having the best results as A/B testing can increase your email marketing ROI by 37%. Thus, the above-mentioned statistics are sure to make you understand the value of email marketing and make the best out of it.
How many emails are sent a day in 2022?
The data shows that the number of emails sent a day crossed 319.6 billion in 2021 and the figure rose to 333.2 billion in 2022.
What role does email marketing play in a successful eCommerce brand?
Email marketing plays an important role in lead generation in a successful eCommerce brand. A targeted email list helps to attract potential customers and convert them into leads.
How do you calculate ROI in email marketing?
You can simple calculate ROI in email marketing by dividing the net revenue gained (from your emails) by your total email marketing cost.
Must have tools for startups - Recommended by StartupTalky
Subscribe to StartupTalky
Get the latest insights delivered to you right in your inbox