Company Profile is an initiative by StartupTalky to publish verified information on different startups and organizations. The content in this post has been approved by OkCupid.
Dating has totally changed in the past years and has become a rising trend in today's world. Nowadays individuals choose to get mingled with the help of the internet rather than finding or meeting someone offline.
OkCupid is a dating app which would help you to find your desired partner online. It allows the users to create a meaningful and a real connection. This application includes multiple-choice questions to match users. Registration is free of cost. You don't need to register yourself in order to become a member. Read the OkCupid success story below.
OkCupid - Company Highlights
|Headquarters||New York, United States|
|Sector||Dating App, Dating Services, and Internet|
|Founders||Chris Coyne, Christian Rudder, Max Krohn and Sam Yagan|
OkCupid - About
OkCupid is an online dating site. It asks the users the correct questions which helps the company to find the matched users. It enables the users to find someone of their kind with matched thoughts and this happens with the help of multiple-choice questions.
OkCupid - Startup Story
The four founders were the students of Harvard University and the team gained recognition after their creation of TheSpark. Later it was known as SparkNotes. It included various humorous personality tests, match tests, etc. SparkMatch debuted with their registered users and match tests. This SparkMatch became OkCupid. In 2001, SparkNotes got sold and the team began concentrating more on OkCupid. In 2007, the company launched Crazy Blind Date. Many tests on the way of its journey got removed as well. In 2012, the company launched the social discovery service Tallygram but it too got removed in the next year.
OkCupid - Founders and Team
The founders of the company are Chris Coyne, Christian Rudder, Sam Yagan and Max Krohn.
- Chris Coyne is the founder of three popular websites. He was the co-founder and the creative director of TheSpark. He is a BA graduate in Mathematics from Harvard University.
- Christian Rudder is an entrepreneur, musician and writer. He is the co-founder of OkCupid. He was also the founder and the creative director of SparkNotes. He is also a BA graduate in Mathematics from Harvard University. He completed his schooling from Little Rock Central High School.
- Sam Yagan is the co-founder and the CEO of OkCupid. He also held the same position at SparkNotes. He was the co-founder of Techstars Chicago and MetaMachine. He was the vice president of Barnes and Noble.com and iTurf. He pursued his bachelor's degree from Harvard University and completed his MBA from Stanford University.
- Max Krohn is the co-founder of OkCupid. He was also the founder at TheSpark and SparkNotes. He is a graduate in Computer Science and Mathematics from Harvard University and also has a PhD in Computer Science.
OkCupid - Business Model
Data is the word which has differentiated OkCupid from the other online dating companies in the crowded world. Registration is free here. Whenever a user signs in, he/she is asked a few questions. Questions are related to hobbies, lifestyle choices and interests. The users answer around 250 questions giving data to the online dating site to find matched people.
OkCupid - Revenue Model
Registration is free but the entire process can't be free of cost. It is based on an advertisement model. The company sends email to the users that, 'somebody just sent you a message. Eg - Pay 20 bucks to instantly view the message.' This way the company advertises by selling and tracking given data by the users. Almost every online site makes money in this procedure.
OkCupid - Funding and Investors
OkCupid has raised a total amount of $6 million in funding from 1 funding round.
|Date||Transaction Name||Money Raised||Lead Investor|
|January 17, 2017||Series A||$6 million||Great Oaks Venture Capital|
OkCupid has got only 1 invester recently. Great Oaks Venture Capital is the most recent investor.
OkCupid - Competitors
The top competitors of the company are Zoosk, Taimi and Rendeevoo.
- Zoosk is the top competitor of OkCupid. The company is headquartered at Lehi, Utah and was founded in 2007. Zoosk operates in the Application Software field.
- Taimi is the #2 competitor of OkCupid. It is headquartered at Las Vegas, NV and was founded in 2017. It works in the Application Software industry.
- Rendeevoo is also one of the top competitors of OkCupid. It is headquartered at London, England and was founded in 2012. The company competes in the Personal Services industry.
OkCupid - FAQs
For how long does the green dot (online) stay on OkCupid after closing?
Is OkCupid filled with fake profiles?
Not all are fake, but in an online dating site, it is quite natural to find few fake profiles among the real ones.
Which is better? OkCupid or Tinder?
OkCupid is especially for the younger ones and Tinder is for all.
Is OkCupid expensive?
The registration is only free and the rest like viewing messages, who liked you, etc costs.
Does OkCupid allow the users to see when someone was last time online?
Yes, it does show the time.