“Cyber Security is much more than the matter of IT” - Stephane Nappo
With the increased internet usage, a large amount of personal and professional information and data is available online which is continuously under the threat of exposure. In the USA alone over 53 million individuals were affected due to data compromise in the first half of 2022.
This threat has grown several folds with cyber crimes becoming incredibly sophisticated and the entire world shifting online, especially since 2020 amid the uncertainty and disruption of the global pandemic. As per a survey conducted by Statista, the average cost of data breaches worldwide from March 2020 to March 2022, combined in different sectors, is more than 150 million US dollars.
Under these circumstances, cyber threat intelligence becomes an extremely valuable tool to protect, detect and respond to any cyber threat your data might be exposed to.
In this blog, we will discuss in detail cyber threat intelligence and tools that can help you in protecting your data.
What is Cyber Threat Intelligence?
Cyber threat intelligence is the collection, processing, and analysis of data to discern the motive and behavior of a potential cyber attack and to help us make informed decisions and implement proactive security procedures. The cyber threat intelligence tools are designed to help us with the process.
Threat intelligence is a cyclic, continuous process that is typically completed in 6 steps:
- Set goals and plan the direction
- Collection of data
- Processing of data
- Analysis of data
- Dissemination of data
- Report findings
There are four types of cyber threat intelligence viz. strategic, tactical, technical, and organizational. Each one of these is meant for different users and describes the threat and its details in various depths as per the knowledge and requirement of the concerned user.
What Are Cyber Threat Intelligence Tools?
Attackers today have learned and developed thousands of ways to breach data and wreak havoc. Also, with advanced technology and software involved, threats have grown more complex and crimes more sophisticated. Therefore, effective and timely detection of threats and strongly powerful retaliation are extremely important for protecting your data.
Cyber threat intelligence tools are developed and designed to counter these issues. They provide up-to-date information about the latest threats such as malware, exploits, etc. These tools also provide information about the tactic, technology, and procedure (TTP) involved in a particular threat and suggest the best methods for protection against it. Further, these tools are capable of analyzing any potential or specific threat detected on a particular network.
These tools are capable of managing the risk as well as enhancing your cyber security through artificial intelligence or machine learning. They give an organization the ability to plan preventive measures, detect threats, and resolve security issues.
Key Features Your Cyber Threat Intelligence Tool Must Have
As per a survey by Statista, the most useful type of cyber intelligence tool, as per the users, is the one that provides detailed information about the malware being used in the attack.
Although the basic function of most cyber threat intelligence tools remains the same, there are certain key features that you must look for while choosing your CTI.
Any cyber threat intelligence tool that you choose must fit in with your already existing security mechanisms including Firewalls and SIEM (Security Information and Event Management).
A threat intelligence tool processes data from various sources and provides risk scores. Therefore, it cannot act as a standalone tool. Combining it with other security systems enables prioritization, and proactive alerting, as well as adds circumstantial data for alerts that ease the investigation.
Moreover, this flexibility of function would also let the tool collect accurate data from the dark web and other sources.
A single-window dashboard simplifies the entire process of threat detection and remediation. Being comprehensive the tool collects information from every possible source and displays it together which also accelerates the decision-making process.
Multiple Source Information
To exactly analyze an organization’s position in terms of cyber security the tool must be able to extract information from as many sources as possible. Through this real-time indicators can be discovered that can help in forming accurate correlations.
Several security alerts are often ignored owing to a large number of false positives. This causes alert fatigue amongst the security team who are unable to decipher the actual high-priority issues.
A good threat intelligence tool should be able to prioritize and categorize the actual security alerts, which is only possible when it can correlate the data in the alert with the already available database. This would ensure that the important notifications do receive a response from the security team.
To manage and control security issues a cyber threat intelligence tool must be proactive. This means that the tool should be able to identify the threat and vulnerabilities before the commencement of the actual attack.
A tool integrated with automated response processes helps in early detection and effective response to the threat.
Top 7 Cyber Threat Intelligence Tools
The right threat intelligence tool would help point out the potential issues and nip the problem in the bud. Based on the requirements of users as well as the opinions of the experts we have made a list of the top 7 cyber threat intelligence tools that will secure your system from cyber threats.
Cisco Security Malware Analytics
IntSights External Threat Protection(ETP) Suite
|Used For||External attack surface monitoring|
As per Statista, Fortinet led the global threat intelligence software industry in 2022 with almost 39% of the total market share.
Experts label Fortinet’s FortiRecon as one of the best cyber threat intelligence tools. It is a Digital Risk Protection Service product. Other than its outside-the-network view of the risk, it can also mitigate three additional risk areas viz. Digital assets risk, brand-related risks, and underground & imminent threats. It uses automation, machine learning as well as human intelligence to analyze the brand risk for an organization and deliver proactive custom intel.
- External Attack Surface Management
- Adversary Central Intelligence
- Extensive asset and exposure discovery
- Comprehensive reporting
- Easy to use
- Contextualized threat insights
- Early-stage lifecycle protection
- Far-reaching threat sources
- Comprehensive report
- Not suitable for any non-MS domain device
- Logging services do not include many details
Contact the vendor to get the quotes for Fortinet's Fortirecon threat intelligence license.
|Used For||Providing coverage against adversaries, infrastructure, and targets|
It is headquartered in Boston cyber security platform. Recorded Future is widely recognized for its predictive or proactive cyber threat intelligence. It gives you real-time visibility into the vast digital ecosystem and automates the entire process of collection, analysis, and reporting. It provides coverage against adversaries, infrastructure, and targets.
- Manages risk landscape through a single-platform approach
- Advance filters to narrow down your search
- Powerful integration ability connects with both SIEM and SOAR providers
- Graphical representation of worldwide threat data
- A wide variety of threat intelligence is covered
- Direct source evidence for effective decision making
- Easy navigation owing to modular design
- 10+ years of reference data updated regularly
- Overwhelming search results
- Comparatively expensive, starts at USD 10,000 for AWS
Contact Recorded Future to obtain the current pricing of the license.
Cisco Security Malware Analytics
|Used For||Providing contextual analytics for malware and threats|
Earlier recognized by the name threat grid, it is a cloud-based unified security solution. It generates alerts for malware activities and helps analyze the threat levels to draw strategies for tackling them. It provides end-to-end visibility and protection by leveraging threat intelligence.
- Contextual analytics for malware and threats
- Huge malware knowledge base
- Uses behavioral indicators to predict and prioritize attacks
- Automation and integration abilities through APIs
- Easy integration without reprogramming
- Cross-product security data from Cisco and third-party sources
- Thorough analysis and comprehensive reporting of threat
- Automated sample upload through API integration
- Frequent delays in the alert mechanism
- Strenuous on-premise appliance setup
Contact the vendor to get the quotes for Cisco Security Malware Analytics license.
|Demo Provided||10 days free trial|
|Used For||Social media and open source intelligence (OSINT) gathering.|
It is a Canada-based company that specializes in Open Source Intelligence Tools (OSINT). Its flagship platform leverages data from social media, the dark web, as well as open community platforms. It collects real-time risk information and allows you to perform ad hoc dark web searches alongside internal threat monitoring.
- Pre-built data search filters with 24X7 monitoring.
- An externally focused tool that connects with global security feeds, illicit forums, etc.
- Directly feeds information to the co-security tools
- Collects data from 18 social media platforms, news portals, and blogs
- Simple and easy-to-use investigative tool
- Makes investigation easy and provides actionable results quickly
- Extraordinarily intuitive GUI
- For any OSINT newbie, the learning curve can be steep
- Occasional random results require human verification
Pricing information for Echosec is supplied by the software provider. Final cost negotiations to purchase Echosec must be conducted with the seller.
IntSights External Threat Protection(ETP) Suite
|Used For||Monitoring phishing attacks, malicious domains, and data breaches|
It is a 360-degree tool for cyber security that provides rich, real-time, actionable insights within 24 hours. It delivers enterprise-grade external, contextualized, and prioritized threat intelligence. It can be used either as separate modules for external intelligence, risk analysis, and threat investigation or as an end-to-end cyber threat intelligence tool.
- It collects data from the dark web, provides external threat feeds, and conducts custom research.
- Well-built analytical report and automatic risk mitigation
- Critical vulnerability patching
- Comes with use-case-specific solutions or APIs for extensible integration capability.
- Supports all major languages including Japanese, Portuguese, German, French, and others.
- Focuses on external channels such as social media, black markets, etc.
- Extremely flexible, adaptable, and comprehensive tool
- Weak alerting mechanism
- Steep learning curve
Pricing information for IntSights External Threat Protection is supplied by the software provider. Final cost negotiations to purchase IntSights External Threat Protection must be conducted with the seller.
|Used For||Dealing in threat intelligence, risk quantification, and intelligence-powered security operations|
It is a Romania-based company that deals in threat intelligence, risk quantification, and intelligence-powered security operations. It strengthens security and defense by breaking down complex data into actionable information. The information and data collected can be analyzed manually or with automation assistance.
- Uses Playbooks which are an intelligence-driven orchestration feature
- Extensible integration and automation for all cybersecurity features
- Intuitive dashboard with prioritized risks on the face of it
- Show threat prevalence through crowdsourcing analytics
- A powerful data model that establishes links between incidents, threats, and IOCs.
- Proactive detection through the combination of orchestration and automation.
- Updated information on the latest cyber threats and malware
- One of the most expensive threat intelligence tools
- Not flexible enough to suit user requirements
Pricing information for ThreatConnect is supplied by the software provider. Final cost negotiations to purchase ThreatConnect must be conducted with the seller.
|Used For||Monitoring the web for data leakage and ransomware|
It is a US-based company that provides cyber intelligence solutions. It safeguards an organization against online threats such as phishing, data leakage, impersonation, and others. It monitors the web for data leakage and ransomware and brings relevant data to the attention of the user.
- It is equipped with the latest AI, ML, and OCR technologies
- Combines artificial intelligence with human intelligence to review and prioritize threats
- Solely designed for external threat protection
- Visual indicators on the dashboard offer absolute visibility
- Hacker elimination through adversary disruption and takedown as a service
- Huge integration library covering all popular IT tools
- Streamlined workflow with a straightforward setup process
- Overwhelming subdomain alerts
- Generates a large number of false positives
Contact ZeroFOX to know about the price of the license.
Cyber threat intelligence tools play a crucial role in the growth of any business by protecting it from the commonest and biggest of threats. They identify, predict, alert, and manage cyber attacks. Also, with the number of cyber-attacks rising every year to a great degree and the world shifting online there is no alternative to these tools. However, with a large number of options available in the market, making a final choice can be hard.
In this article, we shared with you the 7 best cyber threat intelligence tools to make your search convenient. Hope we could help.
What is Cyber Threat Intelligence?
Cyber Threat Intelligence is the process of gathering and analyzing information about cyber threats to protect an organization's digital assets and infrastructure. It provides actionable intelligence to support cyber security strategies and enhance the ability to prevent, detect, and respond to cyber-attacks.
What are the 3 types of cyber threats?
- DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) Attacks
What are the benefits of Crime Threat Intelligence tools?
The benefits of using Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI) tools are:
- Improved threat awareness and detection
- Enhanced incident response
- Increased efficiency and cost savings
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
What is the most common cyber threat?
The most common type of cyber threat is malware, including viruses, trojans, and ransomware.