Your startup is not just your revenue stream, your career or your office, it’s a life of everyone in your office. And no matter how hard is life, you need to enjoy every second whenever you get a chance. What can be a better occasion to enjoy than Christmas and New Year eve? It’s a universal festival. No matter which country or religion anyone is from, everyone enjoys Christmas and New Year. Also, celebrations help to boost morale of employees and increase retention rate. In fact, according to a research, 80% of employees leave their jobs because they do not get enough appreciation and morale boost. Hence, a little celebration in once in a while is important.
However, you need to make sure that each and every person of your office actually enjoy this eve. This post contains some ideas for New Year Celebration in Office.
This post includes:
- Party Ideas for offices with more than 50 employees
- Party Ideas for offices with less than 50 employees
- Party Ideas for remote organization
- Corporate Gift Ideas for New Year
New Year Party Ideas for offices with more than 50 employees
If you own a big company and have a pretty large number of people working in the office, then it might be a tough thing to come up with a good idea for New Year celebration in office. Have a look at these celebration ideas fit for your organization:
- Ask employees to bring their families on the New Year eve: Families are always important. They are the reason people grow up so well. And they are the reason that you have great employees in your company. Why not share this happiness of new things with all the people? Hence, ask your employees to bring their family members to the New Year party. When the families of the colleagues meet each other on this special occasion, everyone will be happy and even more closer to each other.
- Theme Party: Maybe it’s very cliché but you can choose a unique them like everyone have to wear shorts or pajama with a suit on in the New Year Party. Or maybe, you can ask them to wear their school or college uniform, etc. Theme party will never be out of fashion, you just have to be creative with the idea.
- The Boss Speech: As the founder or the head of the office, give a funny speech to the people. Also let the heads of the departments give a speech. Review the whole year in the office, talk about the best moments and throw some lights on the future plans. It will make the employees more connected to the company.
- Cubical decorating contest: Run a contest of cubical decoration in the office. This way, your employees will have some fun and your office will look festival ready.
Also read: The best way to divide work in team
New Year Party Ideas for offices with less than 50 employees
If you have a small business, store or startup, then it is easier to execute some creative ideas. However, if you are blank about how to celebrate this New Year with your small team, these are some ideas to consider:
- Ask them to predict the next year: Ask your employees to predict the next year. Let them predict the year for the company and for the world events too (like elections, sports matches, etc). Make their video while they predict and save it. Next year, when you guys gather again for the New Year office party, play those videos. It will be fun for everyone.
- Let everyone give a speech: If you don’t have too many employees then you can give everyone a chance to give a speech in the New Year party. Let them say anything like what they learned this year, what are their resolutions, etc. It will increase the sense of belongingness in the employees.
- Secret Santa: Many startups celebrate both, Christmas and New Year together. So, if you want, you can still celebrate the New Year by playing Secret Santa with your team. You can all play Secret Santa and gift each other something. Secret Santa is kind of game in which all the people of a group exchange gifts anonymously. However, make sure no one is left because it will lead to demotivation and will ruin the beginning of the year.
- Bonfire: Grab a music player, some woods, some drinks and go to the backyard of the office. Or maybe you can go for a proper camping to a jungle on the New Year eve for a celebration party. Do some bonfire with your colleagues, exchange life advice, play some games, and have fun together. If you have 5 to 25 people in the company, it’s a great way to spend time with the employees.
- A daytime off: Ask your employees to come early on the 31st, do some work, and then go shopping altogether. You can provide them all some shopping coupons. It will be a good way to make their last day of the year, great. Also, this way, they will get time to get ready for the office New Year party.
- Host the party at some other place: Book a hotel, restaurant, or maybe a resort for the office New Year Party if you have a budget. Why doing everything yourself? Just delegate the work to others (third party) and let your employees have fun. Also, I am sure you don’t want your office to look like a mess on the first day of the New Year.
Also read: 10 ways to be a Good Boss
New Year Party Ideas for Remote Organizations
If you have a business model which does not require the presence in of employees in the office, like a Blog or software company, etc. then you must have some virtual employees. Virtual employees work from their home. However, they are still counted as your employees, so you need to do something to boost their morale on the occasion of New Year. To increase their belongingness to the company, you can do the following things on the New Year eve:
- Virtual Secret Santa: Yep! That’s possible. You can use the Amazon Prime accounts to send gifts. Moreover, there is a website called Elfster which is dedicated to hosting Secret Santa, you can use their service for this purpose. Or you can simply ask your employees to send the gifts to the head office and then send them to the receivers. However, You can also send them gifts by the name of the company to make them happy.
- Free Passes or Coupons: If you think buying and sending a gift is a long process then just buy some passes or coupons online and gift them. Tell them to enjoy the day with the passes you have sent. This way, you can make sure that they are having fun. This will give them a mental rest and increase their productivity.
- Play online games: To enjoy the eve, you can play some online games with the whole squad on the New Year eve. Also, you can order them some food and enjoy altogether. You can also go to some celebration place and show them the greatest view of the year on the video call.
Note: You can mix up the ideas according to your needs and wants. For instance, a theme party is not just for big companies, an office with less than 50 employees can also have a theme party.
Corporate Gift Ideas for New Year
Gifting has always been an integral part of any new beginning in life. When can it be better than starting the year with a memorable and useful gift to the most precious gems of your company who truly bring radiance to your company and work hard for it to shine bright?
Watches, customised stationery, calendars, mugs have become as cliche as they may sound. A few suggestions of presents which you can gift to your invaluable employees are given below:
Be the real Santa
Gift your employees what they might actually need and needs may differ individually. One way is to get to know their wishes by putting up a wish box and get them whatever they want. But this can be feasible only for a very small number of employees.
A better and more practical way is to give them vouchers. Vouchers can be for:
- Shopping: If you wish to gift something to wear, you can go for Myntra vouchers or Pantaloons voucher. For electronics, vouchers of Croma can be given. To provide a wider choice, Amazon or Flipkart are the best choice.
- Spa: Who wouldn't want a holiday relaxing and stress-releasing at a wonderful spa? It might be the best way for employees to celebrate their New Year.
- Gym: A healthy employee is the true asset of the company. To have good health, regular exercising is important and gym is the best place to ensure that. You can gift them membership of a gym.
- Movie: Gift movie vouchers to your employees and for their families. Let your employees spend some quality time with their families.
- Travel: Nothing can be better than giving your employees a break from their monotonous office schedule and provide them with the privilege of spending a few days away from the city life to a calm and serene place. This will boost the productivity of your employees after a wonderful break.
Christmas and New Year are incomplete without sweets. This week is all about cakes, cookies, muffins, puddings and what not. A perfect gift for the new year can be a box full of these sweet treats and please the inner child within every employee by gratifying their sweet-tooth.
Self-grooming is really important. Employees are considered to be the reflection of an organisation. A clean, well-groomed employee is a requisite for the image of the company. A branded grooming kit can be an exemplary gift this New Year. Grooming kits are generally gender-specific. A perfect kit for men can include face wash, shampoo, deodorant, shaving foam, after shave, talc, etc. Kits for women may comprise of a perfume, body-wash, moisturizer, etc.
Indoor plants are a few plants types which can grow well in the insides of the four walls and does not require much care or maintenance. Such plants have multiple benefits. They keep the air inside your home or office clean and pure. It will add to the beauty of their desk and keeps a light atmosphere. Desk plants are commendable gifts for your worthy employees for providing them a welcoming green friend at their desk everyday.
A Few More Thoughtful Gifts
There are a number of objects which can be quite useful for office-goers for daily use, need of which they don't even realise unless they start using it.
- Power banks/portable chargers: Our phones have become an integral part of our lives. In fact, according to a report, there will more than 3.5 billion Smartphone users in the world. A few hours without a smartphone, brings an abrupt halt in our working. And charging sockets are not always available all the time and everywhere. Power banks can be a convenient gift for all the employees in 2020.
- Customized laptop/phone covers: Laptop covers and phone covers are the first things we buy after buying the laptop and phone respectively. A customized cover can bring a sense of belongingness among employees towards their company.
- Headphones: Music is the best and the most accessible way of relaxation after a tiresome day. Gifting headphones or nowadays even airpods can be an impressive option as this may portray you as an employer who cares about his/her employees.
- Pendrive: Pendrives are portable secondary storage devices which are always handy for a working person. Important data, files, etc. can be stored in a pendrive and can be extracted as per need and convenience. This can be a workable gift.
The list of considerate gifts can be endless. Although, this ritual of gifting may seem to be materialistic and gifts you give may be exhaustive in nature, but it's a conduct of showing how much you value your employees and how much do you care for their needs.
New Year is not just another occasion, it is a time of happiness. Everyone enjoys this festival. And an office party is not just a party, it’s a way to make your employees happy. This way, you can boost their productivity and morale. Try to make the party more fun and don’t push the work in between. Invite each and everyone and treat them all equal. Also, invite your clients, even though their chances of coming are negligible. Wish everyone through email, even to your ex-employees and competitors.
Share this post with all the entrepreneurs you know.
StartupTalky family wish you a very Happy New Year!